Gastric sleeve surgery involves removing three quarters of the bottom part of the stomach.
This restricts the amount of food a patient can consume and more importantly reduces the amount of hunger hormone ghrelin that the stomach produces. This helps patients lose weight by decreasing the amount they can eat and also decreasing their hunger between meals.
Is Gastric Sleeve Surgery Right for Me?
Patients can expect to eat smaller portions and have a reduced appetite following gastric sleeve surgery leading to a steady loss of weight over time. By following the postoperative recommendations patients can expect to lose approximately 1 kilogram per week, until their body weight reaches a normal range.
Advantages of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Gastric sleeve surgery has a number of advantages over other procedures:
- Stomach openings and nerves remain intact and unaltered.
- Digestion functions normally as the only change is to the size of the stomach.
- The section of the stomach responsible for producing the hunger hormone, ghrelin is removed, which means you will be less hungry post-surgery.
- The procedure for gastric sleeve surgery is laparoscopic, rather than open, meaning it is less invasive, scarring will be minimal, and recovery will be quicker.
Request Your Gastric Sleeve Appointment
What is involved in Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
During the procedure the doctor will:
- Make small incisions in the abdomen.
- Insert specialised surgical tools, including a camera, through the incisions.
- Remove the lower section of the stomach (which makes up 70-80 percent of the entire lining).
- Use a specialised stapling device to close the sides of the stomach tube (or sleeve) which remains.
Preparing for Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Before the procedure, Dr Dolan will run a series of tests to ensure that patients are ready for surgery. Dr Dolan will go over the specific instructions for preoperative care, but generally, patients will need to:
- Go on a liquid diet a week before surgery.
- Avoid eating after midnight, the day before surgery.
What to Expect After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Following surgery patients will need to eat liquids for two weeks, then a pureed diet for two weeks. Four weeks after surgery, patients should be able to resume eating normal foods.
Patients also need to commit to a healthy lifestyle as part of the recovery and weight loss process. This involves following the plan set out by the surgeon, dietitian and exercise physiologist.
What are the Costs and Funding Options for Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
There are a number of factors that may influence the final cost of surgery. Dr Dolan will be able to provide a more detailed quote after consultation.
Medicare rebates are available for this procedure and our surgery offers payment plans for patients.
Want to learn more about your surgical options?
If you are ready to take the next step towards bariatric surgery, contact Dr Kevin Dolan. He will guide you through the surgical process and will work with you, along with the rest of his team, to support you through your weight loss journey.