Are you a suitable candidate for gastric sleeve surgery?
Are you here wondering whether gastric sleeve surgery is suitable for you?
Gastric sleeve surgery can be a great option for helping you lose weight when other means haven’t worked, such as dieting and exercise.
What is gastric sleeve surgery?
Gastric sleeve surgery, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, involves the surgical removal of a large part of your stomach, up to 70%.
But, what does that do for you?
The aim is to allow you to feel full after eating far less food than before, as a large majority of your stomach has been removed. This will also make you feel less hungry, since a smaller stomach will also produce less ghrelin – hormone responsible for hunger.
How to qualify for gastric sleeve surgery
The surgery is recommended to people who are obese and suffering from medical conditions caused by their weight.
General guidelines to whether a patient is able to undergo weight loss surgery is based on their body mass index (BMI). Adults who have a BMI of 40 or more are usually considered, and adolescents who have a BMI of 35 and an obesity related illness.
Adults may be eligible for the gastric sleeve procedure if they meet the following conditions:
- BMI of 40 or above
- BMI of 35 or above (obesity) and at least one illness
- Suffer from obesity related illnesses such as diabetes, back pain, sleep apnoea, joint problems or another issue
- At least six months of alternative options to lose weight which have failed
Adolescents may be eligible for the gastric sleeve procedure if they meet the following conditions:
- BMI of 40 or more and any obesity-related illness
- BMI of 35 or more with a severe obesity-related illness
However you may be eligible for gastric sleeve surgery if you have a lower BMI, but suffer from a severe obesity-related illness.
The best way to find out if you’re eligible for gastric sleeve surgery is to speak to Dr Kevin Dolan during your initial consultation. Dr Dolan will provide you with all the information necessary and help you understand how gastric sleeve surgery may benefit your overall health.
Not sure what your BMI is?
Well, we have a free BMI checker on our gastric sleeve page to help you!
- Prepare to change your diet – you will require an all-liquid diet immediately after surgery
- You’ll need to eat healthy and avoid excess sugars, processed foods and saturated fats
- Ensure you do not smoke pre or post surgery as smoking increases risk of infections and slows recovery
- Practice eating less and on a schedule prior to surgery
- Make sure to keep yourself accountable!
But, what if I don’t have private health insurance?
The good news is that you can still have weight loss surgery from Dr Kevin Dolan even if you do not have private health insurance coverage. Speak with our friendly team to find out the estimated costs of surgery and how we may be able to help.